Monday, May 23, 2011

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA


Originally reviewed in 2009:

"Clear bronze/amber color, nice 1/2" creamy, rocky head.

Faint aroma,lightly hoppy, lemon peel, creamyorange and tangerine..and something I haven't put my finger on, quite yet....but none too bitter. More muted than I expected for an "extra IPA" though.

Taste: blast of hops, smack of bitterness, then fading back, ...sweet, caramel malt-y...a little chocolate meeting citrus hops...there's orange in my cocoa.
A bit maltier than I'd like, not sure if those particular malts were right with these particular hops.

Balance is great, but this is over-balanced. A bit too much sweet, and not enough bitter."

Looking at fellow reviewers, I seem to be in the minority on this one. But I just wasn't impressed. I can drink it fine nowadays, it's a thoroughly serviceable IPA, but nothing special.

No comments: