Saturday, December 9, 2017

Surly Darkness Russian Imperial Stout 2010, Seven Years Along

Six weeks ago, I sat down with a Drkness 2012. Three weeks ago, it was time for a 2011. And now, it's time for Surly Darkness 2010. Russian Imperial Stout. Surly Brewing Company, Brooklyn Center, MN. 10.3% ABV.

Complete and thorough blackness, rich roasted head, long lasting, looking amazing..

In the nose: campfire, molasses, anise, dark rum, all kinds of cocoa.

In the mouth: bigness, richness, so much sweet, with plenty of bitter, non-stop richness. So nice, so good. Seven years in, I didn't think I'd find a flawless Imperial Stout. It's not missing a damn thing. The 2011 I had 3 weeks ago felt a little oxidized. This one? Not at all. More, give me more!

Still drinking, still enjoying, still slayed by the richness and the maltiness and the hops that keep it just in check. So sweet, so tasty. Everything is as should be. Nice, nice, and very nice.

So very nice that I can't believe that this one has lasted 7 years without losing anything in the flavor department, or body, or texture, or richness. You just never know.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

But if it doesn't lose/gain anything and there's no oxidation character - the source of most "aged-beer" character - why age it?

Al McCarty said...

Because I could.