Monday, February 25, 2013

Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan Brown Ale



Lazy Magnolia, Mississippi's Brewery. Southern Pecan, the original pecan nut brown ale. Smooth and sweet, English-style brown ale. brewed and bottled by Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company, LLC., in Kiln, MS.

Clear, bright ruby red appearance, slim, soon-gone whitish head.

Aroma, …I'm sorry, I'm not finding anything, nothing's here. I want to talk about malts and nuts, and such forth, but this is almost criminally absent. Nada, zilch, nyet.

Taste: Beer. Malt. Mmm. Taste. But, not tasty. Eh. Ah…Gee…whiz.

Okay, dum, de dum…have I had this before? Something tells me I should have, and I forgot to check. It certainly never made enough of an impression on me that I remembered.

{Guess what, I have had it, 4+ years ago, in October of 2008. Here are those notes:

Reddish brown body, creamy, cocoa-tinted head. Lovely stuff.

Sweet malt greets the nose right off, fat and fruity and with plenty of bright, rounded nuttiness.

Hitting the tongue, an even, balanced affair, malt in center stage, minor hops, but never too much of the sweetness. Very tasty stuff, actually, meaty and full. I'm no pecan expert, but I like what's getting on my tastebuds. Smooth, warm, and deep. Scrumptious, too.

Full-bodied, long, sweet, but tempered finish. This is one I could turn to a couple of times, at least.}

I will continue with the new notes:



And now I would like to take time out to read the label…
"Southern Pecan, the original pecan nut brown ale, is the first beer in the world made with whole, roasted pecans. Using a careful balance of the finest malts, aromatic hops and roasted pecans, Southern Pecan is delightfully smooth and has a nutty sweetness that …(sorry, this part has been worn away from the paper label)…a delightful….(sorry, again!)…

…I will take a break from that break again, and try to drink it once more.

The taste is not making a mark on me. I'm not getting any sweetness or anything from these pecans ..or anything. It all melts into a wash of nothing but nothing. I am sorry, I am trying.

Here's more: "Here along the banks of the Jourdain River, in a region long known for having the best water for bootleg whiskey, we found that water also provides a perfect balance of softness and alkalinity to bring out the rich flavor and smoothness of dark malts."

Southern Pecan was a Bronze Award winner in the Specialty Beer Category of the 2006 World Beer cup, but we do not brew our beers for awards, we brew our beers for you."

Thanks, but…"pass." Nothing's happening here. Well, "some" "thing", maybe, but …not enough to talk about. Sigh...

Hmmm, what happened? Maybe the newest one is an old bottle? That's all I can think. I liked it years ago, and yet today it did nothing for me. Freshness, people! Let that be our watchword!

No comments: