Sunday, April 7, 2013

Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Sublimely Self-righteous Ale, American Black Ale (black IPA), 8.7% ABV. I picked up a bottle of this one, at last, after settling some confusion about it. According to BeerAdvocate, I have reviewed a bottle, but don't remember doing so. Until I find out that I did that review when it was the Stone 11th Anniversary Ale. Perhaps the first of this style I'd ever had.
So, here are my notes on that bottle from December, 2007, received in a trade, with a photo of the bottle I took down last night:


Stone 11th Anniversary, in the dark with this IPA, pitch dark, so they say...what's that mean? Let's open and find out...

Hey, that is dark...and hoppy...big aromas, leaping out at ya...just about black, this one, with a smallish dark brown head.

Aroma: bright hops, mixed with rich, dark malt...ripe fruit melds with cocoa and coffee tones...interesting, to say the least...and I like it!

In the taste, big hop smack, taking a dark turn, feeling hot, roasted, and full. Tangy, twangy, tingly hops, meet roasted malt...overloaded with character and confidence. Some trickles of molasses and a hint of spice linger in as well...hops are everywhere, this is in IPA territory, definitely, but those dark malts take somewhere else entirely...and I like that!
first bitter fruit feel, then dark roast burning the palate...again, I like!

8.7%? I'm hardly feeling it...or, am...I?

A bit of bright orange and grapefruit pith, then a round of chocolate and coffee grounds..I'm enjoying that!

No comments: