Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Founders Rubaeus Raspberry Ale

Founders Rubaeus Raspberry Ale. A summer seasonal, and a keg I didn't get until late August. Because of various events and certain other urgencies, I didn't tap this until December. When I wrote the menu description, I was careful to edit out any references to summer. Shortly before the keg ran dry, I penned these notes, thinking I'd rework them into something readable later:


Founders Rubaeus Raspberry Ale.

deep purple, lush pink head, lace leaving.

sweetness in the nose, fruity aromatics, slightly tart, but every bit raspberry-licious.

Taste: Sweet, refreshing, just the smallest bit tannic, and full of fruit flavor. Medium bodied, moderate to low hopping, solid malt body. Solid beer. Little bit of lactic sourness laying on the palate. Delicious. It never stops being a beer, maybe too fruity for some. Definitely not a lambic. (This comes up a lot with customers. "Raspberry, eh? Does that mean it's a lambic?" "No...")


Can't see having more than a couple in a sitting, that's for sure.

No comments: