Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Bell's Amber Ale


Before I share with you some notes from April, 2003, there's something I need to explain. At that time, the purple-hued labels of the Amber Ale from Bell's featured a drawing of a heron. Now, they use a watercolor of trees, clouds, a lake. Also, I can no longer see myself tossing back a million of them, although it's a fine amber ale, I've lost the appetite for more than a few. Must. Have. Hops!

So, here are those dusty, but trusty, nearly 12 year old notes on what was once considered the flagship beer from Bell's, with some hyperbole tones down a bit…


I always seem to have unresolved questions for the Kalamazoo Brewing Company, and right now it's: what's the significance of the heron? Maybe it's the Michigan state bird, and I'm just an idiot...This was introduced to me as not only the "flagship" brew of Kalamazoo, but "the beer Larry drinks." Then I found out that when the K'zoo crew really get to partying, it's hard liquor...

Color is hazy orange, bordering on brown, and the head is a good inch thick, properly white.

Aroma is sprucey, piney, full of hops, fruity, but mainly pineapple and citrus. There's a touch of tart, but it's mostly sweet.

On the palate, nothing but smooth, smooth, smooth. Malt looms large in this ale, but it's perfectly matched. Hops are tingly, tasty, and not quickly forgotten. I can see tossing back a million of these.

4/13/03

Here's the tale the gobbledygook tells: "First brewed in 1985, Bell's Amber Ale embodies the heritage of our brewery and celebrates the nature of the Great Lakes region." Alc. 5.8% by Vol.

No comments: