Friday, December 16, 2016

Short's Brew Soft Parade

This is a bottle I'e been waiting on far too long, given to me by Andrew many weeks ago. He wanted to know what I thought of it, but I've let it sit in the old fridge, passing it by. Andrew gave me malt liquors many years ago, to see what I'd write about them. He must be trying to get a reaction out of me with this one. Well, here we go.

Brewed and bottled by Short's Brewing Company, Elk Rapids, Michigan. (The first Short's beer on the Nib.)

What is this "soft parade" from Short's? A "High Gravity Ale fermented with blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries." Okay, sounds like fun.

Lightly hazed, pale crimson hue, slim white head. Looks fine.

In the nose: fruity. sweet. none of those four in particular stands out, really. Maybe straw, maybe rasp. A painless enough blend. Promising? Perhaps.

In the mouth: Rather thick, malty, with pleasant enough fruit. Flavor is quite blasé', actually. How to describe? It's not sour, and it's not sweet. How high is the gravity? They don't say on the label. On the website, though, they tell us this. Seems that it's 7.5%. That's somewhat high. I click on BeerAdvocate.com and find no new information, except that it was added to this site by my ol' pale "fantom", a former Michigander, over 12 years ago. One of their flagship beers, it seems.

Hm. It's drinkable, enjoyable, but not all that impressive. It's not bad, it just doesn't grab me. I don't have a great deal of experience with Short's, mostly trying them at the Great Taste of the Midwest when I go there, and I find that they make good stuff.
This one? It's fine. Maybe Andrew meant the other one he gave me was the weird one he wanted my opinion on. I'll crack that open next.

No comments: