Sunday, December 4, 2022

Modist Double Ghost Vision DDH Citra New England Double IPA

 


Modist Double Ghost Vision DDH Citra New England Double IPA.

8.6% ABV. Modist Brewing, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

This is a beer I first had at the taproom four and 1/2 years ago. If I’d managed to bring home a crowler and reviewed it then, or had commenced the practice of phone posting earlier, I might have said nicer things, for I hadn’t yet placed the embargo on NE DIPAs (except when I get them for free).

When reading this review, keep in mind, that I review for my taste. If this is right in line with your style, you may think this is the bee’s ever-lovin’ knees. 

Let’s break down the style of this beer, shall we? DDH, I’m not crazy about. It’s an effect that enhances aroma, but not flavor. Citra is a hop that can’t be beat, used well. New England? Fine part of the country, but not my favorite style of IPA. Double IPA? I love them, except when you put New England in front.

Hazy. Thick and clouded. Pale, yellowish hue, slim white head.

In the nose: bold, bright, and citrusy, if slightly muzzled.  

In the mouth: bursting with hoppy flavors, popping with Citra, a lacking crucial bitterness. Soft, smooth, tasty. Lays limpidly on the palate. Doesn’t really grab me worth a darn. Too mellow and squishy for my palate. It’s got the goods, strength-wise, there’s a nice booze burn warming everything up. But, it doesn’t work for me. When it comes to Double IPAs, I need crisp and clear. 

New England Double IPA brewed with malted oats and malted wheat. Hopped and double dry hopped with our hand selected Citra & Citra Cryo.

No comments: