Thursday, December 14, 2023

Põhjala Cocobänger Imperial Stout with Coffee and Coconut

 Põhjala Cocobänger Imperial Stout with Coffee and Coconut.


12.5 % ABV, Product of Estonia, brewed and packaged by Põhjala, Tallinn, Estonia.

And here we have what must be, if I am not mistaken, my first Estonian beer. About damned time.

Strictly blackness, terminal opacity, slim brown ring of foam.

In the nose: rich, roasted malt, big cocoa, hints of coconut. Nutty, slightly sweet.

In the mouth: surprisingly smooth and sweet. Big boned and burly. Lots of depth and loaded with cocoa. Coconut and coffee are subtle, and that’s okay with me. They’re creeping up along the edges. Not in your faces, but gliding up right behind. Remarkably mellow for a beer this big. Not especially thick or rich, and just a little spicy.

I paid $8 for this 12 ounce bottle. I’ve spent more for less. Good job, Estonia. 

No comments: