Friday, August 14, 2026

Ol’ George #93

 Ol’ George #93:


Notes on #93: 

1. Yes, I did recently see the latest Tom Holland MCU Spider-Man movie and that inspired me to get Spidey together with George. I was an avid reader of the Spider-Man titles from 1982-1987 and have a special affection for the early years, the issues by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. If I’m trying to produce “relatable” material that everyone can get, why base a joke on one panel from the origin story that no one will remember? I just can’t help myself!

This might be a one-time only reference to “wheat cakes “. The next time they show Aunt May cooking Peter breakfast, they say “pancakes.” I don’t have a ton of references on hand. The only Spider-Man in my library is the Omnibus Volume One, almost 1,100 pages in hardcover! Fifteen or so years, I’m regretting this purchase. Why not 3 or 4 hardcovers in the Marvel Masterworks editions? So, much easier to lift and hold and won’t destroy your shelves!

2. In the Sam Raimi films, Rosemary Harris played the Aunt May part perfectly, looking exactly how Ditko drew her. But, should a teenager really have an aunt who looks 60 years older? It made more sense to switch to Sally Field, then Marisa Tomei. So, here’s to Aunt May, whose breakfasts were just as integral to Peter Parker’s growth as Uncle Ben’s responsibility speech.

3. In comics, no one grows old. Spider-Man has never left his twenties, in 64 years of publication. This strip posits the opposite, that Peter grew up in real time. 2026-1962+15=79! I did the math. 



No comments: