Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Brasserie Geants Urchon



Every once in rare while, a keg appears on the market that I've never heard of, or have ever seen it in the bottle. That's the case with Urchon, the hedgehog beer from Brasserie Geants, a brewer I've sampled only once before, a tripel, I think, called Goliath.
Took a chance on Urchon, since there were only 13 reviews on BeerAdvocate, but it did get a B+, so there was some promise. Before I had a full glass, I struggled to describe it to customers. It's not a dubbel, nor a quad, not a brown or an amber, ....wait, I think I said that in my notes, so let's just show them to you...

"Reddish brown coloration, dotted beige head.

Aroma: citrus fruit, hops, spice, dark fruit. A touch sour, a trifle bitter, and then some sweet.

Taste: earthy, gritty entry on the palate, a bit of bitter, and then comes the malt. Great balance here, nothing is too anything, never too sweet, none too bitter. Some dark fruit, plum and fig, tempered with a continual bitter swath.

This is a really unique brew that I can't put into any box, doesn't fall into a category. Feels very rich and flavorful, but is exceptionally moderated. Everything rounds out. Great little bite of fruit and malt, with hops and spice holding it in check.

I like this little hedgehog. Tasty ale. Gotta hand it to them, very nice, this Urchon."

No comments: