Friday, January 14, 2011

Tyranena Bitter Woman in the Rye


...and this one..

Notes from July, 2009.


Tyranena Bitter Woman In The Rye, bottle

Clear and crimson in appearance, solid layer of creamy froth atop.

Muted fruit in aromatics, cherries, apples...I almost think the rye malt interferes with the natural hoppy aroma of the base IPA in this instance. Caramel apple on top, with citrus scent below.

Taste: more of the same, I think. I've had a few rye IPAs before, Cain & Abel, Bittersweet Lenny's, and these succeeded because the hops were amped up and met the challenge of the interesting new ingredient in the malt bill. The rye twist was lurking below and mixed well at the base. Here, it overtakes....Further in, I am liking it more. Reminds me of another new tweak on an old IPA, the Victory Wild Devil, where the yeast did the yanking, not the malt.

More and more, I do like it, the hops speak up and swim in the mouth better and better...they took a while to rise to the surface and stay on top, but they did it.

Tasty stuff. Love the kick from the rye, after all. I'll be looking for more.

No comments: