Thursday, January 20, 2011

De Dolle Oerbier


I love this brewery, "The Mad Brewers" of Esen, Belgium,and grab up bottles of their regular line-up whenever I can. Picked up the Special Reserva at Zipp's last week, and the clerk asked, "Is it really $10?" I told her that once she tasted one, she wouldn't care about the price. I'm saving that for later. For now, notes from February 2003, and my first taste of this one, sent from a trading buddy. So glad I can get it here now. (And still trying to get a keg one of these days!)

"Boggy brown color, full of yeasty travellers swimming about, below a fuzzy, rocky, lacey off-white head.
Aroma is somewhat dry, hints of nuts, caramel, soft and slightly sweet, with huge spiciness, and a touch of woodiness.
A welcome phalanx of hops jumps on board the buds, followed by an armada of sweet malt.
Warm and highly charged, with a softly diminishing finish.
Bracing, bold, and delicious!
My guess on the style would be either a high-alcohol brown ale, or maybe a souped-up Scotch,
either way, several notches above what I'd expect.
At 7.7%, I'm starting to feel it, too! Wonderful, chewy texture, full body, altogether excellent!"

Interesting that it was 7.7% then, but is listed on the bottle as 9, now. Either way, I still love this one.

No comments: