Friday, January 14, 2011

Val-Dieu Grand Cru




Third in this current series of Belg-a-Rama, the scrumptious Grand Cru from Val-Dieu. Here's my notes from a bottle way back 4 years ago, February, 2007:

"Deep violet, opaque, nearly black, almosr, under a fine sheath of creamy froth...I like the look, so far...

Aroma: lovely, and uplifting, sweet and delightful...yeasty, brady, some delicate fruit...some dark malt notes, too, some black pepper, licorice, cola....

Taste: mmmm-MMM!!!Espresso whispers, cola hushes, dark fruits and anise, black pepper peeps in, black and chocolate malt, and delicious Belgian malt and yeast. Mmm, darkness and spice aplenty! Yu-um! That's what makes this special, this particular sparkling spiciness....a bit rough in the texture, burrs against the buds to much, methinks...but then this unique and wondrous flavor creeps in ...too much...

Wonderful beer...wish I had a caseful at hand...alas, and alack!"

On tap, it's malty, rich, and smoo-ooth. Alcohol doesn't stand out that much...immediately. Gets to you in the end, though. And the flavor is as beautiful as ever.
I snatched the photo tonight, because I suspect it will be the first to run out. Have two original reviews to write in this group, one that I couldn't believe I've never done, and suspect my posted review got deleted. More Belgian yummies to come...

No comments: