Thursday, January 6, 2011

Lilja's Sasquatch Stout


"Lilja' Sasquatch Stout. Explore your darkest side. When it's time to relax, one stout stands clear. If you've got the beast, we've got the beer. Brewed behind the Cheddar Curtain"….and also:" ylnevaeh spoh."…wait, what is that backwards: hops heavenly, or heavenly hops. Okay.

The second Lilja's beer I've had, the first was two years ago, the IPA. Since that review, I received a beermail from the owner/brewer urging me to try his other wares. Too bad it took 2 years to get some, but they just never popped out at me when I was shopping in Wisconsin, which happened maybe 3 times in the past 2 years. Now, I found a bunch of them at Zipp's, ain't that a kick, so let's go right ahead.

Full ebon, slim but lasting roasted tan head.

Beautiful nose, silky smooth, roasted and toasted, nice bitter undertones. Bittersweet chocolate and espresso notes.

Taste: creamy mouthfeel, with dark malt fully in charge. Tasty stuff, smooth and easy drinking. Sweet enough, and bitter enough. Little fruity, some cherry, raspberry notes, under the chocolate and coffee. Light-medium bodied. I'd call it a session stout, but at 7% abv, it's a touch high for that.

No comments: