Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Rodenbach Grand Cru



Here's my first post on the beers for the third round of Belg-a-Rama at the Blue Nile. And I rather like the notes I took from a bottle back in October of 2003, so I'll quote them verbatim:

"Sourness from the start, as my nose merely glides over the open bottle neck. Once poured into a tall, slender glass, the aroma pervades the atmosphere, sour cherries, rich and pungent, with a nice side-saddle dose of fruity sweetness A deeper sniff offers melodious complexities that dance freely in the caverns of the senses, a resonant aura of unearthly delights.

Color is a light leather-brown, but cloaked with cherry-red tinges, at side, bottom, and trickling in from behind.

First sip...AMAZING! I stop, pause, seep in the immediate pleasure of this initial sampling. Tasty tart texture...low hops, just-perfect malt ballast...long, luxuriant finish, grips the tongue, lips, even teeth, senses and brew caught up in amorous embrace, locked up too tight to untwist....sip after sip, sweetness and sour, a recurring, relaxing joy!

A mellowing effect is applied to the body and the soul, for this is that plush armchair ale, to swish in a snifter in the dark of night, leafing through the works of Voltaire, Old Dog Blue at your feet, while all is well with the world, and the mind can slip from serious matters and perambulate the corridors of less than lofty philosophy, epicurean ambitions, and bacchanalian designs.
This is that beer.

Sadly, the drink left the glass too soon...can I get a magnum, please?"

That wasn't my first time ever having it, I'm fairly sure, but there was something about that first encounter while reviewing that make me bring out all the stops and let it flow. I get the same feeling from the keg, as well. Wonderful, wonderful stuff.
Now, I just need to get my hands on some that Vintage stuff, that's the real deal. Only got a taste of it at Where The Wild Beers Are, and it positively packed a punch.

No comments: