Thursday, January 6, 2011

Point Belgian White (Belgian-style, of course)


Took this notes back in November 2003, over 7 years ago, and it was my first ever Point beer, that I could remember:

"Appearance: pale yellow color, on the verge of true whiteness, head is fine, white, long-lasting.
Aroma: big, bold, & flowering, a perfect picture of a wit nose that really stands out, lovely and soft, yet spicy and lively, awash in citric sophistication. Quite nice.
Taste: nice, neat little hop dance up front, then mellow and mild. Refreshing and relaxing, with good spark, and easy drinkability. Light-bodied, but adequately flavorful, a consistent delight. Coriander-curacao combo continues to tap happily on the tongue. This easily beats out Blue Moon, which I recently revisited. Gets more lemony at the end. Actually, dries out a bit and my enthusiasm becomes dampened. Ah, well... "

Have it on tap now, though it's almost gone. The price point was too irresistible, about 50 dollars less than the average craft beer keg, and I chose it for a certain Friday night when a cheap beer was required. Turns out the crowd went for regular priced Surlys and Summits, instead. Could be because it's from a brewery not really known for it's craft output. I think that's a bit of a shame, since this isn't a bad witbier at all.
They get lumped in with Leinenkugel's or Schell's and other large regional brewers that put out some for the masses, and a handleful of craft beer styles. I'll admit, they aren't the best, but they gave it a good shot, and it's worthy of a try now and then.
Now they have a new label, the Whole Hog series, doing bigger styles, and I'll be sure to check those soon. Looking at their normal output, their highest ranking beer on BeerAdvocate gets a B overall, but one of the Whole Hogs, a barleywine, actually gets an A. Oh, wait...all the others rank Cs through Bs. Ah, well. Though, still, I have to give it the ol' fair shake. Wish me luck when the time comes.

No comments: