Sunday, June 26, 2011

Abita Abbey Ale (Dubbel)


Another sample from a sales rep, when he came visiting with an Abita associate. This is one I bought up when I first saw it, and looking back on the opinions of others, it appears I was blessed with a better bottle than most, or perhaps I am more forgiving. I gave it an A-/4.2, about 14% above the mean. Had this bottle last night, and damned if I didn't enjoy the heck out of it. And dubbels are my favorite style (if you don't count double IPA, imperial stout, quadrupel, baltic porter, etc. etc...).
Here are those notes from June, 2010:



Abita Abbey Ale , 22 oz. bomber

Clear, dusky auburn appearance, solid, 1/2 " cocoa & cream head.

Aroma: sweet and spicy, brown sugar & molasses, caramel malt, a little nutty.

Taste: sweetness and richness aplenty. dark fruit, spicy malt. I keep looking for serious flaws, but I honestly can't find any. Smooth, alcohol stays cloistered, figs and cloves, delicious and a delight to drink.

Medium bodied, long finish, wonderful dubbel from Louisiana, who would have thunk it.

No comments: