Friday, June 10, 2011

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

It's time to interject among the Belgian brews some odd offerings from a semi-sweet sample pack from a distributor sales rep. Why semi? Because it's... not that rad. Or awesome. There was only one beer I'd never had, (although it's very unique.) However, she meant well, and she's pretty, so how can I pick on her? Can I get mad that the samples included two beers I already order from her company? Not really, since it's all free. She wrote me a note, "tell me what you think of these"...of Carlsberg, Grolsch, Beck's? Again, she meant well. (And a lot better than her predecessor, who sent me new beers whether I asked for them or not, and charged us for them. Not cool.) So, for the first one we turn to a beer she didn't know we carried. On being told this, her reply was, "well, good, you can drink it." or something like that. It's a beer that was one of the first in my initial "dream beer list" way back 10 or 11 years ago. And one that firmly belongs in the category of "gushers" when it comes to my early reviews. Had the bottle and home last night, and here I share with you the 5-star review I posted on BeerAdvocate back in January 2003. 


Samuel Smith's the Old Taddy Tadcaster Oatmeal Stout: "Big, booming tan head, and a color as black as the darkest night. 
Aroma is all things good: fresh, nutty, dry, coffee, espresso, the very essence of roastiness. 
Texture is smooth, with late bitterness coming through on the palate, very chewy and substantial.
 Comes on sweet, warm, and wonderful, a comforting stout. Honestly, how do they do it? There are many who attempt this style, but no one comes close to Samuel Smith's when it comes to flavor, to taste, to utter perfection. Nothing less than happiness can result from drinking this fine brew. Always to find a spot among my Top Five. Absolutely perfect!" 

------------ If I were to write this one anew, I'd temper the enthusiasm just a little bit. It was one of my early favorites, and I still find great joy in it's delights. I think I need to go pick up more Samuel Smith's beers, to revisit some old friends.

No comments: