Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Breckenridge 471 IPA



I first had this one in a bomber, March of 2006. Took these notes, which I share with you as I drink it on tap:

Clear appearance, cast in a honey-glazed amber-y hue, with prodigioius puffy, lacey foam above. Nice lookin'.

Aroma is soft, piney, citric, pleasant, but muted. Candyish tones overtake bitterness. Appealing.

Brisk blash of bitter on the palate, then caramel flavor rolls in, toffee, like a brief battle between hops and malt, this candyish sweetness muffling the bitterness. Interesting. Fruit bobs up again, but instantly enfolded by sweet caramel. An interesting combo, one I don't encounter in an IPA very often...but one that doesn't quite hold my in sway with it's charms for very long.

Full mouthfeel, lot going on in the texture, medium to full bodied, tasty, complex finish, hangs long on the palate...but, alas, the flavor doesn't quite cut it all the way, for me. Still good, just not what I look for in an IPA. An accomplished ale, nonetheless.

No comments: