Sunday, June 12, 2011

Grolsch Premium Lager


Number three in the sampler pack.

Swing-top bottle Grolsch! Man, it's been a while.

On cracking the crock, out comes the skunk. Whoo-eey!

Wow. So, it's now poured and now it's clear, and pale yellow, with a soon-gone slim head. That's peeking at it from six inches away. Now, it's time to pull it close and get a further whiff. Here we go…

Ow! Clear-green-bottle-itis in effect, y'all! Whoa!!!
Spoiled cabbage, bad fruit, mold, …ugh.
"Since 1615, Artistry and Craftsmanship." Maybe that's when it started, when did it stop?
"Royal Grolsch Holland Premium Lager, The Original Swingtop"…"Best before Aug 11/11"
15.2 Fl Oz….I have to suffer through this much? Yikes., 5 % alc/vol.

Time to drink up.
Wet. Carbonated. Harsh. Bitter. Not pleasing at all. I'd drink this if offered to avoid being impolite, and I'd offer no comment if none was required. Then I'd turn and spit it out. Yet, here I am drinking of my own free will, and attempting to finish it.

Water, and cereal. Someone melted my bran flakes.

Each time I raise it up and set it down my windpipe, the same awful aromatics come back. Spoiled, stale, skunked. Green bottles. When will they ever learn?

When will I learn? Putrid and awful. Merest hint of a body, lightness creeps above.
And what counts for flavor is nothing but bad. Soiled cardboard. Rancid lemons. Ugh.
Why do I punish myself like this?
this is exactly what gives beer a bad name.

No comments: