Saturday, June 11, 2011

Anchor Liberty Ale


Another from that mixed sampler dropped off by my sales rep. An old favorite that remains strong, but has gotten lost in the shuffle amidst all the new breweries that have eclipsed their offerings over the years. I'm baffled why the distributer doesn't carry kegs of this (only Steam, Porter, and seasonals). If I'm not mistaken, Liberty was the first American-brewed IPA of the modern era, and the first to focus on Cascade hops.

These notes were written way, December of 2002, and here we have another gusher. I gave it a 4.9/5 on BA, a big 18% above the mean. I still like it, but again, too much gushing, I'd need to temper this enthusiasm, if I were writing anew. Man, they should pay me for this one. Here it is, 8 1/2 years later. Where's my check?

--------------

I'd seriously underestimated this beer in the past, for my enthusiasm was markedly greater when I sat down to study it, smell it, and appreciate it's complexities. I'll bet I was drinking it out of a bottle in a noisy, smoky bar.
Thick white head, settles soon. Pale orange color. Fresh aroma, incredible fruit! Peaches, apricots, citrus, with perfect integration--nothing stands over or above anything else. Quite mellow and smooth, this is an ideal session beer, not too powerful in hops or alcohol, but one that rewards the attentive. Fritz Maytag and the boys at Anchor are the ultimate craftsmen and this is a perfect product. Everything is so well-formed and pure, it's amazing. Great balance, flavor, everything!

No comments: