Monday, June 6, 2011

Summit Horizon Red Ale


First tried this one in April of 2009, 2 years ago, on tap. Must've been at Acadia or some other familiar haunt, for, if memory serves, I didn't tap it at the Nile until later that year. I have it on again, as part of an unadvertised, unpromoted, and utterly unco-ordinated effort to tap all of Summit's beers during their 25th Anniversary year. So far, I think I've done EPA, Winter Ale, and the latest Unchained Series. Here's what I thought of it, then, and I still feel the same.

Clear crimson/amber color... adequate froth atop, soon gone, though.

Fresh, grassy aroma, lightly fruity, not too tart, not too sweet...

Taste: big hops, lingering some, laying a bit on the palate, hanging in there,... and then, softly fading back.

Light caramel malt body... very drinkable, sessionable, a nice turnaround for those looking for something new from Summit.
While it ups the hops, it doesn't quite do enough for me...and lacks in the body.
This is being written on my second pint, though, and I'm liking it better than I did with the first.

I still feel it could, should be bigger in body, a little heavier would be nice. But, then, I have to keep remembering that I'm not their target audience, and how much my taste has evolved.
Beyond what Summit wants to make, apparently.

Again, a good drinking beer, nothing wrong with it at all, just falls a bit short from what I look for these days.
-----
Today, as I said, those words hold true. I can drink it fine, but wouldn't pick it over a Furious.

No comments: