Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hop-Ruiter Golden Ale



Here's the 5th Belg-a-Rama 7 beer I've listed so far, here. Leaves only one. I've done this one just in time, as the keg feels ready to kick. Timmermans and Moinette Brune are both done. Got it just in time, luckily, as I've never had it, and would rather not have it run out before I write my notes and have to buy a bottle. (Oh, yes, this has happened.)

So, here are my recently written notes (minutes ago!):

Hop-Ruiter. I'm not sure what that means. I've tried to find out, but failed. It has something to do with hops, but nothing to do with Reuters News Services. What's a ruiter? There are horses on the logo, maybe it means "rider"? A rider of hops, mmmm? {I've since been informed by one of the owners of Vanberg & Dewulf that my guess is correct. Hooray, me!}
And how do you say it? Again, I don't know, no one will tell me, I can't figure it out. "rooter"? Royter? Reeter? I'm saying "router", and I'll keep on it until someone corrects me.

So here we have a brewery I've never heard of, collaborating with an American importer to create a hoppier-than -normal golden ale. And now it's on tap (a week ago, and I had to hurry and review because it's nearly gone!) and in my glass.

It looks beautiful, Clear, golden, shiny, lovely…gorgeous white head, lace-leaving, delicate and pretty, very inviting.

Let's smell it, already…pepper and straw, lemon and lime, coriander? Cumin? I'm at a loss when it comes to spices, sometimes, but that's the main thing, spice, then citrus, plenty of hoppy associations. Wonderful.

Now, to taste it…smooth and creamy, slides effortlessly down the throat. Then the hops, the spice, the citric twang climb back up and stake their claim. Another drink and it remains, the small sweetness, the big bitterness, the fruit and the spice. Yum, this is sweetly drink…I mean, consumable, with just enough bitter, just enough fruit to keep a great balance of those opposites. Such magnificent balance. Never too much here or there, this or that, it all matches and meets. A Duvel meets a czech pilsner, impersonating a La Chouffe Houblon, perhaps.

Light bodied, long, hoppy finish, lingers long on the palate…keeps remindin
Whatever it is, it is every degree of yummy. That is to say, satisfactory, or, in other words, tasty!!
Mmm, mmm, yeah. There's a few good syllables.

No comments: