Thursday, June 30, 2011

Service with a smirk


As not mentioned in the last post, today is my birthday. To kick things off, I hung out last night with Jeremy at the new location of Muddy Waters, formerly a coffee shop, now a bar & restaurant with 30 taps. Running the bar and the food is Paddy Whalen, formerly of Triple Rock Social Club and former driver for Surly Brewing Company, all around cool dude. They're doing gang buster, open less than two weeks now. It's no surprise that Paddy supports Surly to the hilt, with as many lines as can take, seven last night. I liked their beer list, with every single beer described, with a food pairing suggested. A familiar thrill occurred, as often happens, when he lifted the Surly descriptions from the can copy, so, in a sense, quoting me. But beneath that was a touch all his own.

Furious..."pairs with bar fights, burgers, and arm-wrestling."

Cynic..."pairs with pizza, pasta, pork and filthy jokes."

Schadenfreude..."pair with the suffering of others."

Among many others beers, I had a Hell and was going to snap a shot for here, and use my review from it's initial release two years ago. The lighting, however, was terrible, and I can't use that picture. I'll break down and buy a 4-pack, or have one in a brighter location.

No comments: