Friday, June 17, 2011

Carlsberg


Yet another in the sample pack, going back to June, 2003 notes for this one, another European lager in a green bottle.
-------------------
Appearance: clear, pale golden color, firm and fluffy, pure white head.

Aroma: dry, and a bit corny, and a certain funky staleness that was quite off-putting and unlikeable.

Taste is bittersweet. This beer contains some hops, and some malt, too, but neither are employed very well, or do anything to impart flavor, character, or any quality that would urge one to drink and enjoy.
No, it was a chore to plow thorugh this brew. Very weak, flat, flavorless, boring as they come. A sourness emerges towards the end, and only furthered my expanding repulsion towards this bad example of a lager.
Are there corn or other adjuncts at use, I wonder, for it certainly tasted that way.
I picked this up to appease a friend from Denmark who urged me to try the beers of her homeland. I'm pretty sure she's unaware of how bad this is, and I'd like to think there's still a good Danish beer out there for me, somewhere!
--------------------

Sure, I've since found good Danish beers since then, and you know what, last night's bottle was not as bad as the one eight years ago...or perhaps I was pickier back then. Bases on that recent Grolsch review, I'd say not. Maybe I just got a non-skunked bottle for once?

No comments: