Sunday, January 29, 2017

Eastlake Kirby Pucker 14 : Sour Black IPA

So, I jumped off a number 5 bus on Chicago Avenue to order some Chinese to take home, and how, how, how do I kill my time before it's done? Well, there's that Midtown Global Market over there, and that brewery inside, that Eastlake place. And while I whiled away some minutes, waiting on my Hunan chicken, I had a pint and bought a bottle. Pulled it out of the fridge the other night, and drank it down. Here's where I share my notes:

Kirby Pucker Sour Series 14: Sour Black IPA. Eastlake Craft Brewery, Mpls, Minn.

Fully dark in color, huge head, cocoa-toned, looking nice.

In the nose: soft, creamy, slight souring so far. Fruity....-ish? Not too much happening here.

In the mouth: Sour comes on board with assurance. Where was it in the aroma? Just climbs onto the palate and holds tight. Dark fruits are here in the flavor, various berries bounce around, and rich dark malt stakes it's claim. Sourness pervades, fruit takes hold. Deliciousness reigns. Plump and juicy.

Not bad. Not bad at all. Have to admit it. Pretty nice.

Gobbledygook from the label? Sure: "Stepping up to the plate is Kirby Pucker, our rotating series of brews that undergo a secondary fermentation with lactobacillus. Every iteration in the series is a unique Eastlake take on post-modern American sour beer. Pucker up! After all, Lake Street is for Lovers! For notes on each in the series, visit Eastlake.MGM.com/kirbypucker." And on the neck: "Brewed with El Dorado, Simcoe and Mosaic hops. 7.8% ABV. 11/16/16. Batch 177. Oak-aged."

No comments: