Thursday, January 5, 2017

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery Razzilla IPA

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery Razzilla IPA. 6.5% ABV.

Here's one I tried in the brewpub a week or so ago and then picked up a growler of it last Saturday night. It's about time I opened it up and poured myself a pint. And as I slip this raspberry IPA into a Town Hall pint glass, I think to myself that it's high time I bought one of those Masala Mama branded IPA-style glasses. If my collection needs another glass, it's that one, right? There's nothing wrong with my vast collection getting any vaster, right? (Is vaster a word? Sure, it is....)

Clear, crimson shaded, slim ivory head atop.

In the nose: bold fruit pops right out, bright and bursting with berries, no doubt about it. Other aromatics are underneath.

In the mouth: Hop bitterness is present, just below the fruit. Raspberries are in command of this one. Sweetness takes turns with tart, with a side order of bitter. Medium bodied easy drinking. You've got to want the fruit with this, though. I'm not 100% sure that doing a 64 ounce growler was my best option, but it was the only one I had.

Here's the thing. I like it, but I don't love it. It would be, and was, a one and done at the bar, while I turn to a real IPA for my next one, or something else. And yet, I've forced myself to strap in for four pints, just so I could take it home and write about it. These are the sacrifices I make for this obsession of mine. (Although, a recent Twitter pic from the brewery shows that this one is currently available in the 750 ml format. It's just a matter of timing, I guess.)

The Town Hall website seems to be much better with current beer information, and this is what I found: Razzilla IPA Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery •   IPA - American •   6.5% ABV
Mosaic single hopped IPA "hop backed" with fresh raspberries from Lorence's Berry Farm located in Northfield, MN.

No comments: