Sunday, October 17, 2021

BlackStack Chillers Cold IPA

BlackStack Chillers Cold IPA.

6.9 % ABV, BlackStack Brewing, St. Paul, MN. 

I'm trying to get a handle on this "Cold IPA" style that's trending now, and I'll continue that investigation by drinking one from a brewery that is not Arbeiter. And I am drinking the final of a 4-pack that I actually bought with my own money, because I like to try beers from this brewery that are not DDH or TDH or any of that nonsense. Whenever you see me review one of those, it was probably a sample that I got for free. 

Clear, with a slight chill haze. bright yellow coloring, slim white head. 

In the nose: Citrus and pine, with a dose of tropical on the side. Orange, grapefruit, mango, papaya. Lovely stuff. 

In the mouth: Clean and crisp, lean bodied and refreshing. Hop flavors abound on the palate, while bitterness is on the low side. Malt is hiding, too. Slight bitterness lingers a while in the finish. 

It's cold fermented with lager yeast. So, how is it still an India Pale Ale? 

We've been extremely fond of this style coming out of Portland, Oregon for its ability to scratch our crispy & hoppy itches simultaneously. We fermented this one cold with lager yeast & dry hopped with our hand selected Simcoe, Amarillo Cryo, Ekuanot & HBC 586 for those new/mid/east/west coast vibes. Perfect for summer and/or anytime. Keep it icy. Keep it crispy. Keep it chill.

I might still want to try a few more of this style to wrap my head around it, but so far it seems like an IPL, but billed as an IPA, because no one wants to drink an IPL. "Just call it an IPA and they'll drink it," is a crass marketing scheme that's been going on for many years now. 

No comments: