Friday, October 15, 2021

Wooden Ship Grillin' SZN- Tin Whiskers Collaboration

Wooden Ship Grillin' SZN-Tin Whiskers Collaboration. 


5.7 % ABV. Wooden Ship Brewing, Minneapolis, MN. 

There was a version of this released to stores by Tin Whiskers as a 4-pack of 12-ounce cans, and I never picked it up because I just wasn't sure about it. "smoked saison with peach, peppercorn, and salt-packed hops"...salt-packed? Why? It seemed too strange. Later I tried the slightly different version from Wooden Ship at the taproom. In theirs, they pickled the hops. But I didn't have to take a chance, for they are fairly generous with samples. I finally took a crowler home a few weeks ago, and now we're going to drink it. 

Lightly hazy, bright golden hue, slim white head. 

In the nose: tart, citrusy, slightly salty? Maybe that's an overreach, but I know there were some unusual choices here, and I'm trying to pick them out before I look them up. 

In the mouth: Okay, I'm getting the apricot. Much more than the subtle smoke. Juicy and bright upon the palate...wait, here comes the smoked malt, we're getting it now. Peppercorns starting to pop up. Pickled hops? (I peeked ahead.) Pickled? Why? Well, it doesn't come through. And it starts to get a little heat along with the fruit.

An interesting beer, drinkable and pretty close to delicious. Drinking this crowler packaged on 8/17 here on 10/11, but I bought it on 9/17. I've got to drink my beers faster. 

A collab with Tin Wiskers. This beer is funky, fruity and pretty fun to drink. This saison features a bit of smoked malt, black peppercorn, pickled hops, arugula and fruited with apricots.

No comments: