Sunday, October 24, 2021

BlackStack Miracle of Birth Center State Fair DIPA w/ Milk Sugar

BlackStack Miracle of Birth Center State Fair DIPA w/ Milk Sugar.

8.5 % ABV. BlackStack Brewing, St. Paul, MN. 


Once again, I reveal my procrastination. This beer was released when the State Fair was on. That was in August. We are in the end of October now. Shame, shame on me. And once more, it's a sample, because I would not pay for an IPA with lactose. 

Hazy, of course, dull gold, large, bright white head. 

In the nose: Soft and fuzzy, slightly citric, ...and milky. 

In the mouth: More soft and fuzzy, plus plenty of hoppy, a bit of citrus and a touch of tropical. Low bitterness, high alcohol...not my favorite kind of DIPA, but, whatever, I can't keep tilting the windmills. Milk sugar, because of mamas, mellows it out. I hate mellow DIPAs. Again, whatcha gonna doo? 

The high alcohol brings a wonderful warmth, a fuzziness to the senses to match the fuzziness in the mouthfeel. But, it's still too sugary and too sweet to be a proper double IPA. I'm not really enjoying it, to tell the truth. 

Typically our first stop at the fair. Partially because it's the closest entrance the State Fair has to our brewery and partially because the combination of all that fried food and witnessing the awe and splendor of new farm animals entering the world in all of their uncensored glory can, at times, be a bit... unsettling. Our hand-selected Strata and Talus and a dash of milk sugar, you know, for the cows.

No comments: