Sunday, October 31, 2021

New Holland Ichabod Pumpkin Ale.

New Holland Ichabod Pumpkin Ale. 

4.5 % ABV, 23 IBU. New Holland Brewing, Holland, MI. 


It's time for another pumpkin ale. Why the hell not? And this time we will revisit one that I first reviewed 14 years ago. Here are notes from September of 2007 for New Holland's take on the style: 

New Holland Ichabod Pumpkin Ale. My first bottle. Had it on tap last year at Ye Olde Happy Gnome. Decided to give it a second chance. 

Clear, lightly orange appearance...creamy, dotted head, lace leaving, nice looking...

Aroma: bam, pumpkin, then pumpkin spice, mostly cinnamon, ...spicy/sweet...I like it, but, ...I no longer love it. The pumpkin ale novelty has long ago worn off on me. That was so 10 years ago...though, now, it' s a seasonal inevitability in some regions...

sniff it again...more spice, more than anything else...now to drink!

Soft and sensuous mouthfeel...very light, and, probably too light. The pumpkin flavor is gone, and all we really taste is the spice...Nice balance, though, neither malt nor hops is felt too heavily, but...here's the but...it's rather blase' beyond the "pumpkin spice" aspect.

Wish it was richer, though, wish it had a bigger mouthfeel, or a mightier texture... wish you could really taste the pumpkin, but...it delivers enough of the flavor to push the product. Can't knock that approach. It's quality, it's even pumpkin-inny! Just wish it was...more...

Well, I only lost $1.75 by buying a single ....no huge loss...

Now? I agree with 39-year old me. Review stands. Difference is that this time I'm drinking from a can (well, from a glass a can was poured into), and it cost $1.99 for the single. How times have changed. I could either take or leave this ale, and without any fuss in either circumstance. 


No comments: