Friday, October 1, 2021

Great Lakes Tidal Fury Imperial Hazy IPA

Great Lakes Tidal Fury Imperial Hazy IPA. 

8 % ABV, 40 IBU. Great Lakes Brewing, Cleveland, OH.


I approached this beer with some trepidation. I like a good Imperial IPA. I don't enjoy the hazies. In fact, the hazy Imperial/ Double IPA will often disappoint me. On the other hand, I find that attempts at this style from reliable large regional breweries such as Great Lakes tend not to hew so closely to the interpretations of this style that I hold in disregard. It is mainly the small, local breweries that do this because, I don't know, they are so young and beholden to the fascination towards the newer styles that drive their mo

Lightly hazed, bright golden hue, large and lasting ivory head, looking amazing, really. Flat out gorgeous. 

In the nose: Bursting with citrus and pine. Rather arid and brittle. Aswim with hoppy delights. Urging one onward to the next stage, to drink...

In the mouth: Flush with citrus and stone fruit deliciousness. Crackling with fruity notes and hop bitterness. This certainly does not contain many of the characteristics of the New England style, but instead has a few of whatever is described as "hazy"...just being unfiltered, I guess. We can get away with that, sure. But it's too bitter for a New England-style, too traditionally hoppy of an Imperial IPA...which I like, of course. 

There's plenty of deliciousness here, lots of citrus, orange and grapefruit, and some stone fruit, apricot and peach, dripping with bitterness and juicy hoppy joy. Slowly but surely, the high ABV rears it's magnificent head, glowing with power and promise. Thanks for this beast, Great Lakes, I'm happy that you are around to make this magic. 

Delicious, bitter, and juicy. Double IPA almost the way I like it. 

A tempest of tropical fruit aromas rushes from the cloudy depths in this Imperial Hazy IPA, brewed with an epic blast of Trident™ hops fit for a king.

No comments: