Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Pipeworks Hey, Careful, Man, There's A Beverage Here White Russian Imperial Stout

Pipeworks Hey, Careful, Man, There's A Beverage Here White Russian Imperial Stout.

9.6 % ABV. Pipeworks Brewing, Chicago, IL. 


This is a curiosity, for sure. It's nearly opaque, dark amber color, slim, but lasting off-white head. Nothing like I'd expect from an Imperial Stout, or even a White Russian. They meet somewhere in the middle. Technically, according to the label, it's an Imperial White Milk Stout with Coffee, Lactose, Vanilla and Cacao Nibs. I have no idea what color a White Milk Stout should be, but I wouldn't have guessed this one. 

But, I had to try this, being a sucker for Lebowski references. (Also, Fargo references.)

In the nose: Vanilla first, and then, probably, lactose. The cream is here. Sweet, cocoa, cream. So far finding little that one would expect from a Russian Imperial Stout, but, then again, that's not exactly what this is, but what the hell is it? 

In the mouth: Sweet and smooth, vanilla is king (why?). Cocoa and cream. None of anything that I associate with an Imperial Stout. They pulled a switcher, I think. Although...I am judging this against Russian Imperial Stout that I have known and loved, and yet this is a White Russian Imperial Stout, a thing that I have never heard of  before, and no one else has either. 

I don't know why they needed the vanilla. Is that an ingredient in a White Russian? No. Cream, Kahlua (coffee liquor), vodka. That's it. You don't even need the cacao nibs. Is that in Kahlua? I don't think so. What I think is, that I got hoodwinked. I paid $7 a can expecting something like an Imperial Stout, and I did not get it. It tastes neither like an Imperial Stout or a White Russian. I would express my opinion more strongly, but do you have to cuss so much, Dude? 

This is definitely a weird beer, and maybe someone out there might like it, but it fails in so many aspects for me. Blech. I'll finish this, but I won't be happy. 

White Russian Imperial Stout

Wayout West there's this beer... Dear I wanna tell ya' about. Beer by the name Hey, careful man, there is a beverage here. Beer inspired by a certain dudes favorite potable, this imperial white milk stout is brewed with vanilla beans, and abideable amount of cacao Nibs and coldpressed coffee that really tied the beer together, did it not? It is the perfect oat soda for those days when you're out of your element and all you can do is say "f it, Dude, let's go bowling."

No comments: