Monday, June 29, 2015

Lynlake Hop X Double IPA


One of the problems with trying to keep up with all new breweries in town is that, well, you can't. I stopped into LynLake Brewing today in order to, once more, buy a growler on a Sunday. And I saw several new beers since the last time I visited them, three months ago. Three months? They are so close, it's ridiculous how I can forget about them, while I worry about checking out all the others.

So, now, let's open a growlette, growlino, no, these guys call them "roadies" (don't ask me why) …of a "double IPA" called Hop X.

Appearance: clear, bright reddish hue, solid, lingering head.

Aroma: ah! Just right. Citrus-y, floral. Bright, beautiful, lovely. Exactly what I want up my nose.

Taste: scrumptious. Juicy and fruity, hoppy as it gets. Bittersweet, where the sweet overcomes the bitter. Bitter hop attack still stays on top, but never quits. Long, fruity, bittersweet finish. Medium body. Strong hop flavor. Lush malt. Delicious.

Here's what the menu says: a not quite double IPA using a wide array of hops that provide strong resinous character. Pilsner and deep caramel  malt balance out that intense hop flavor with a roasty backbone. The use of Belgian candy sugar gives an extra kick of alcohol warmth while lightening the body. It's some of that real sticky icky. SRM 10, IBU 100, 8% ABV.

Is it some of that real sticky icky? Is it? Not quite. Could be sticky, ickier. Really could be. But, as is, it's pretty damned tasty, so cheers to that.







No comments: