Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Ballast Point Dead Ringer Oktoberfest


Ballast Point Dead Ringer Oktoberfest Traditional Marzen Lager. San Diego, CA. Alc. 6.0% by Vol.

BP has always used aquatic  life on it's labels. Now, they seem to be the skeleton brewery. I suppose we are to imagine a jolly German who perished at sea, still clutching stein and pretzel. Okay, that's cool. Not sure if I get the name, though. If you figure it out, shoot me a line.

Clear, and copper-y colored, with a small head that disappears quickly.

Sweet and malty nose, just a little earthy and herbal.

In the mouth, sweet and malty again. Caramel and toffee, clean and free of bitterness. Drinkable? Of course. It's hearty to a point, too, and tasty, sure, but I'm not in love with this one.
Maybe I'm just not into marzens anymore. It's certainly not a style I look for from an outfit like Ballast Point. "Where's the hops?" I scream in the general direction of San Diego.

1 comment:

GSoroos said...

For the style I thought it was spot on. I enjoyed it. But it's not my typical go to style. :-)