Thursday, March 22, 2018

Town Hall Deflate NE Lager

Town Hall Deflate NE Lager. 6% ABV. India Pale Lager. Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery, Minneapolis, MN.

This one was first released in late January, ahead of that football contest that took place in our town, the one that set the Connecticut Wildfire versus the Massachusetts Ruffians. No, that's not right. The Nashville Ne'r-do-wells against the Saratoga Scalawags? The Pennsilvania one against the New England one, the NEs, the guys who can't keep their balls inflated, I think.

So, in honor of them, an "NE Style", done not as IPA, but IPL.

Thoroughly hazy, orange/gold coloring, adequate slab of ivory froth atop. Looking fine for the style.

In the nose: soft, murky, muddy. Citrus-y, some tropical tones. Low bitterness, negligible malt.

In the mouth: Super citrus from the start. And then the soft, the smooth, the yeasty and creamy comes along.  Low bitterness, hop flavor, not hop bitterness. Light bodied, easy-drinking And it's good and I can drink it. I'm liking this quite a bit.

It gives me what I miss in lagers and delivers much of what I like in IPAs.  (Though I could use a few more IBUs.)

A hoppy lager inspired by New England IPAs. Grain bill of Pilsner malt, Vienna, wheat, and oats. Kettle hopped with Pacifica, Galaxy, and Nelson Sauvin. Dry hopped with Galaxy, Nelson Sauvin, and Simcoe.

No comments: