Saturday, April 21, 2018

Furstenberg Black Forest Pils

Furstenberg Black Forest Pils. "Crisp and Refreshing", "Bierkultur seit 1283", 31 IBU. Beer, Premium Import from Germany. Brewed and bottled exclusively by FurstlichFurstenbergische Brauerie GmbH & Co KG, Donaueschingen, Germany. Ingredients: water, barley malt, hops, & hop extract. (I'm sure they want to include yeast, as well). 4.8% ABV.

Here we have a pilsner from a Germany brewery that seems to have had a bit of history behind it (since 1283? really?), and yet I'd never heard of it. If I'd seen it in a store, I probably wouldn't pick it up right away, since "pils" is a not style that sets me off. But the Sample Man dropped it in my lap, so it goes in the queue, and I'm going to drink it.

Crystal clear, pale yellow color, sizable ivory cap of foam on top.

In the nose: clean, cereal notes, malt sweetness.

In the mouth: Crisp and clean, light bodied, smooth and highly drinkable. Minor hop bitterness, malty flavors dominate. Hop flavor profile grows in time. Quick an easy drinker, with some nice flavor in it. Stays sweet until it ends dry. Quite nice.
Good pils and you know what you can do with it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello,

I have been looking for Furstenberg beer in the USA. DO you know where I can buy some of this? I would be willing to travel (I live in WI). Thanks!

Al McCarty said...

We have it here in Minnesota. The bottle I reviewed was a sample from the distributor. That's all I know.