Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Venn Brewing Northodox Citra-Forward NE IPA

Venn Brewing Northodox Citra-Forward NE IPA.
6.5 % ABV. Venn Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.

I first had this beer a little over two months ago, the first pint for my birthday, as I biked from brewery to brewery. I wanted to bring some home, but leaving a crowler in my bike basket as I pedaled across the city wasn't the wisest idea. Too much bouncing around back there. On the next visit to the brewery, the beer was still on, but the crowlers were gone. Luckily, I found one at one of the handful of local liquor stores that carry these cans.

I've been sitting on it way too long, it's time to drink. As it says on the can: "Best in your mouth. Not in your cellar. Drink it while it's fresh, okay?" Filled on: "6/27." Hey, that's not that fresh. More reason to drink it now. And try not to beat myself up for sitting on it for nearly a month. It's not exactly cellaring. Just not acting fast enough.

Perhaps that's one reason that this is the first crowler of theirs that I've bought at a store. I know it's only going to be fresher at the source. Let's open it...

Damned cloudy, this. Dull orange. Lush ivory head, leaving lace. Looking good.

In the nose: Bright and lively hop aromatics. Pulsing with citrus and tropical tones.

In the mouth: Starts off sweet and fruity on the palate. Moderate to minor bitterness. Fairly smooth. Lots of citrusy flavors, without going overboard. Soft, even edging into "pillowy." (Who drinks pillows, though?) Lightish bodied, easily drunk. Hoppiness delivers, leaving bitterness behind. I wish it'd been invited, but I've made that opinion known, time after time. This is quite a nice interpretation of this style I'm not so keen on.

"Invented Out East. Brewed for the North. Our hazy IPA is teeming with Citra, Simcoe, and Mosaic hops which, in the presence of restrained bitterness, lend lush flavors of fresh-squeezed citrus juice and marmalade." 

No comments: