Thursday, October 12, 2023

La Dona Naturally IPA

 La Dona Naturally IPA. 


6.66% ABV. 80 IBU.La Dona Cerveveria, Minneapolis, Minnesota. 

Here I am drinking from a crowler. That hasn’t happened in a while. And why not? Well, I no longer have the disposable income I had when I was bartending. Crowlers and growlers are not necessarily good values, but they are sometimes the only ways to try some beers, though they are most assuredly fading away. They are a luxury and these days I buy for value, overall. I get a discount at work, and I drink at home. Times spent at the pub & taproom happen less and less. 

But I had a little extra on me for once and I was at this brewery for the first time in over a year (my last visit was my birthday last year), finally bumped into old friend Dicky Lopez, the head brewer, met up with some pals, and I was feeling groovy. Wish that they had crowlers of their fresh hop IPA, but it’s my fault for not not being there when it was . I should be at all the breweries all the time, right? If I were a Time Lord, I’d forget about Daleks and Cybermen and take the Tardis on taproom visits…through time!

Clear, bright golden hue, slim white head. 

In the nose: blend of malt and hops, citrus notes with a touch of caramel. Pinch of pine. 

In the mouth: brief blast of bitterness, nice bite at the front. More citrusy goodness at play on the palate, with a bit of chewy maltiness just behind. Lightish bodied, easy drinking, fairly smooth and very likable. 

I could take it a bit drier and touch more bitter, but I can also enjoy it for what it is. Cheers! 

Columbus Cryo hops give this beer dank, citrus, and piney notes while the malt bill offers a soft mouthfeel to accentuate the greatness from the hop.

No comments: