Sunday, January 21, 2024

Northbound Smokehouse Brewpub Doppelbock

 Northbound Smokehouse Brewpub Doppelbock.


8.5 % ABV, 18 IBU, Northbound Smokehouse Brewpub, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

It seems that it’s been almost six years since I’ve posted about a Northbound beer, even though my ol’ pal Andy is still there, making great beers day in, day out. I just never get out there, which is a habit I have to get out of.What can I say, I am a flawed individual, deeply in need of improvement.

A few weeks ago, I found myself in the neighborhood and I and my palate were witness to an embarrassment of dark, malty goodness. Took a crowler home for the first time, though, according to the label I should have opened it two days ago. Well, now’s the time!

Clear, reddish brown color, slim semi-dark head.

In the nose: caramel and toffee. Magnificent maltiness. 

In the mouth: starts out smooth and unfolds into undulating richness. More caramel and toffee, more massive malt, low hops, and the high ABV is setting’ the woods on fire. Full-bodied, fully flavored, rich, multi layered and ridiculously delicious. Also, boozy. All that said, it’s doing it for me.

This is certainly not the first time I’ve had this beer. According to Untappd, I’ve logged into this one in February of 2014 (a few months before I briefly worked there) and once in 2017, but never thought to take it home and write about it. Very glad I finally rectified that error. 

Man, there is nothing like a good, strong doppelbock to get you through a chilly winter night.

No comments: