Monday, February 19, 2024

Sisyphus Yule Cat

 Sisyphus Yule Cat Barrel aged Imperial Porter with Coconut and Cocoa Nibs. 


14.1 % ABV, 30 IBU, Sisyphus Brewing, Minneapolis, Minnesota. 

In the efforts to stop the procrastination, here is a bottle I’ve only been sitting on for two weeks. It is also the second beer bottle with my art on the label, 16 years after Surly Two.

Solid blackness, utter opacity, slim, brief ring atop. 

In the nose: big coconut leads the way, with plenty of cocoa below. Massive malt. 

In the mouth: sweet, coconutty, smooth, rich, delicious. Also, strong. Big’n’ beefy. Chocotastic. Warming.  Wonderful. I’m swooning with delight. 

Okay, here’s the story. One day inNovember, I walked into Sisyphus and told Sam that I wanted to illustrate one of his bottles. He told me that the next bottle would be Yule Cat, a name I promptly forgot. I went back to find out the true name and to taste it on tap. I did a sketch, then Googled Yule Cat. I decided that my Yule Cat would not be a monster who devours Icelandic children who don’t receive clothes for Christmas, but just an ornery looking festive feline. I delivered the art in early December, but it took longer than I imagined for the labels to be printed. I’d hoped that the bottles would be out before Christmas, but, alas, .. Anyway, this beer will be brewed and bottled again, and maybe next year it will be more than 40 bottles. I think…

So, go there now and some limited edition bottles! You missed the event where I was on hand to sign bottles, so we’ll have to meet up in person to make that happen. 







No comments: