Saturday, July 6, 2024

Arbeiter Outlaw Barleywine

 Arbeiter Outlaw Barleywine.


10.1 % ABV, Arbeiter Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.

Barleywine is one of my favorite styles of beer. It’s a pity there aren’t more available on a regular basis. Got to grab them while you can and make them last while you wait for others to be released. 

This one came out last winter, the traditional season for the style. I had a few at the taproom a few times over several visits, back then, and picked up a 4-pack. Regretting that decision now, as I feel I should have bought three or four. It would be nice to have more on hand, though I’m amazed I made it last until summer, Once again, I’ve waited until can #4 for the notes. If they brewed it again this winter, I won’t make that mistake again. 

Clear, dark burgundy hue, rich, cream-toned head. 

In the nose: rich and malty, slightly sweet, tobacco and leather, dark fruits aplenty. Cherries, raisins, figs. Lot o’ goodness.

In the mouth: more richness, more bigness. Nearly thick and viscous, full on maltitude, somewhat smooth. Fruity associations from aroma land firmly on the palate. Fullness of body. Immensely complex, deep and rewarding. 

I truly hope Arbeiter makes this one an annual tradition.

No comments: