Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Baird Angry Boy Brown Ale


Let's journey to Japan for a moment, bottle I consumed last night, notes are from May 2010:

Dusky brown color, pale beige head on top, long lasting.

Wide awake, out loud and proud sweet malty aromatics. Caramel, toffee, brown sugar, molasses. Maybe a little too sweet, though.

Taste: Fills the mouth, and floats about. Gets a bit sour, mellows again, harsh malt sweetness, then dry. Bitterness abounds, and remains. Unfiltered? Tastes it. Very full in every way, body, mouthfeel, texture.

Tartness tasted earlier, which scared me for a second, is now gone, and it's all sweet, brown malt, all cocoa and caramel.

Now I'm reading the label: "fleeting malty sweetness, a barely controlled bitterness, and, naturally an angry edge..." Why is it I so seldom agree with what they put on the bottles? Not really that angry, not so uncontrollable with the bitterness (or, not the word I'd use)...the malt sweetness was fleeting?

Oh, well, I like it fine, not bad stuff from the Land of the Rising Sun.

No comments: