Monday, May 30, 2011

Duck Rabbit Baltic Porter


Had this one for the first time in January, 2008. Dave brought me a bottle from North Carolina in April. I took a picture, but no new notes. Here's what I wrote then...

Duck Rabbit Baltic Porter, 9% abv, The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery, Farmville, NC

Blackness incarnate....nice brown head, drifts down...

Intriquing aroma, slightly smoky, meaty, smoked sausage...intense, heady...many things in the mix...some licorice, some whiskey, lotsa stuff.

Drinkin' it....sweet, slick, delicious, big, beefy...thick, substantial...there's a metallic sheen in there as well.

Hangs well in the mouth, floods you ...medicinal...not what I was looking for, not quite what I expect for a Baltic Porter.
I wanted to like this, I looked forward to it, but in the end...eh....sorry...

..............
This gets an A-/Excellent on BeerAdvocate. I gave it a 3.95/B+, not that far below the average, but I guess my expectations were higher than it delivered. This second bottle, enjoyed in Dave's company at the bar at the Blue Nile, was better, although I was not moved to change my notes. Perhaps I'll trade someone for another bottle, and re-review, but for now, these first impressions stand.

No comments: