Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Surly Schadenfruede Dunkel Lager


Surly's dunkel lager, dark German-style brew, first debuted last year in Chicago only, and I was told that it was given that name because that other market was getting it before the Twin Cities did. Joy in our suffering? How surly, Surly! It never got a proper release party (didn't this year, either) and we eventually got some here at the Nile. Proved to be very popular here, then.
Enjoying now from a freshly tapped keg, first took notes a year and a few weeks ago, May, 2010. Here's what I said then:

Dusky brown color, with crimson highlights shining through at the edges, slim head.

Caramel and cocoa hit the nose first, sweetness dominates, then mild coffee notes come in.

Taste: mild mouthfeel, but flavor-packed. Caramel and toffee, tops again, but rounded out, and the sweetness is tempered by the work of the barrel. Everything is even-keeled, and extremely, what's the technical term? Tasty.

Minor hop bitterness, medium mouthfeel, body, tingly texture. One of the more to-style (aside from the oak-aging) Surlys so far, and one of my favorites among those. I tend to favor darker lagers more than lighter ones, and the maltier the better.

This one where one pint begs for another, an excellent session choice. I actually find myself not yearning for a hoppier brew, or one stronger in alcohol...although I'll probably have one of those, anyway...knowing me, as I do.

I gave it a 4.1/5, an A-, 4% above the average, which gives it a B+. I don't think the average Surly-drinking beer advocate reviewer is really able or willing to judge and appreciate a good dunkel lager as a good dunkel lager.

No comments: