Sunday, May 15, 2011

Bayern Dragon's Breath "Dark Heff Ale"


A new brewery to me, Bayern, out of Missoula, Montana, picked up at the Ale Jail. I'll give them another shot, but this one was disappointing. Here are the notes, from a few nights ago.

Bayern Dragon's Breath, Dark Heff Ale, Bayern Brewing, Missoula, Montana

Dark brown color, thin creamy, cocoa-toned head.

Aroma, roughly suggestive of a weizen, there's a whiff of wheat, sure. Caramel, clove, latent banana. Some of that. But what does "heff ale" mean? Have they created their own colloquialism for "hefe" as in in "hefe wizen." Are they sure that the unwashed masses will have no truck with a "Dunkel weizen", and need to coin the ugly phrase, "dark heff ale." I'm a bit turned off by this.
And " Dragon's Breath?" Are they competing with Moose Drool for unappetizing beer name?

Smells okay, actually, but uninspiring.

Taste: dark malt, smooth, refreshing what, but comes across as very pedestrian. Eh, it's beer and you can drink it,..I guess. But doesn't do hardly a thing for me.

I left the notes off there. Frankly, I didn't feel like saying anything else, the brew was so uninspired. I finished it, slowly, and with regret.

2 comments:

Watoot said...

You're a pretentious moron.

I can't even begin to describe how ironic it is that somebody who can't get this beer fresh doesn't like it.

Al McCarty said...

Thank you, sir.

But, please begin to describe the irony.