Monday, May 16, 2011

Fitger's Seaside Single


From a growler, brought back from Duluth by Don, what a guy, what a heck of a guy. Here's the notes:

Fitger's Brewhouse, Seaside Single

Clear, golden color, lovely, soft, snowy-white head.

Aroma, citrus notes and light spice, with traces of banana and bubble-gum. Hints of Belgian yeast-funk. Lively stuff.

Taste: crisp, clean, and quaffable. Light bodied, with a lemon-y finish, matched with lean bitterness and quiet spice.

Very sessionable, extremely refreshing, but lacking something significant in character. If I were really passing a satisfying Belgian pale ale, in the single style, down my happy throat, it would have to have a greater yeast factor, a bigger Belgian quality all through the mouthfeel and texture. If I can't taste the yeast, I'm not getting the real flavor I should be getting. Perhaps the filter needed to be turned off in this instance.

No comments: