Thursday, May 26, 2011

Nethergate Audit Ale


Dirty Dick's Audit Ale, Stour Valley, Nethergate Brewery, "Specially brewed for the feast held on the annual audit of accounts from the mid fourteenth century at the famous colleges of both Oxford and Cambridge. This style was brewed right up to the late 1960's although the style had morphed into a barley wine ale by then. We hope you enjoy our more original 0.5 lbs of hops to the bushel. This bottle conditioned ale contains some natural sediment." Produce of England, I pint, 0.9 Fl Oz. Alc. 8.0 % by col.

Another wonderful gift, ain't I the luckiest fella?
Given to me by Corey over at Hohenstein's, imported by Artisanal, Lanny Hoff's company. This is so new it's not in BeerAdvocate yet, so, hey, maybe I can add it, get a couple extra karma points? I've had two beers from this brewery before, Old Growler, and Augustinian, both many years ago. This style, though, is completely new to me.

Pours a murky orange color, with no head at all, just a mere ivory wisp around the rim, for a head.

Aroma, big, fat hop bitterness, rich malt, pungent fruit, very ripe. I'm reminding of certain overtly pithy American imperial IPAs.

Taste: Sour at first, then incredible hop attack, a two-prong puckering sensation. Grips the lips, then the tongue, then the palate. Each new sip delivers this tart and bitter deployment on the senses once again, and the liquid drips down long and slow down the throat. Moderate carbonation, trickly, tickle mouthfeel.

Pale malts play a background role, as citrus fruit flavor and hops are in charge of this operation. Orange and lemon, particularly pithy, mingled with hops bitterness.
Strong bitter? Pale barley-wine? New old ale? Trying to rap my noggin around this style, or whatever it is.
Not entirely sure I enjoy it. I can appreciate it, respect it, and drink it. I even like it, though I wouldn't grab another one.
I changed my mind, I do enjoy it. It's dawning on me exactly how close it is to certain American hop bombs. I'd be a hypocrite if I liked those, and not this.

No comments: