Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Saison Dupont



Another in the Belg-a-Rama #6 line-up is the classic saison from Brasserie Dupont. Imagine my surprise to discover my notes on BeerAdvocate from June of 2004 were "on tap". Did I really never find a bottle of it anywhere before I tapped my first keg, way back, seven years ago? I guess I didn't. What the hey.
Well, here's what I said then.

Hazy, straw yellow color, creamy, bone-white froth atop.

Aroma, a great heady blend of citrus and spice, probably coriander and clove in the lead. Feels quite a bit like a wit, too, with that wheaten element riding high.

Taste: warm, wonderful, spicy texture, smooths out after, but never flags in flavor. Citrus and spice carries through, with plenty of lemon zest and a drizzle of orange, plus loads of yeasty contributions and a never-ending spicy kick.

Thirst-quenching all the way, ending in a crisp, dry finish. Light bodied, but abundant with character.

Damned tasty! A great summery ale, tres sophisticated and quaffable, to boot!

No comments: